We love to turn up the heat! This wrap is a delish way to incorporate a meatless meal into your week with out sacrificing protein, omegas, b-12 and so much more! Take a look at the ‘Meat Lover’s Meatless Cookbook‘ by Kim O’Donnel, for more great recipes that you can easily add your Diet Enhance to.
3 tablespoons vegetable oil (I substitute with coconut oil, melted)
2 cups diced onions
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 chili pepper of choice, seeded and diced
1 (2-by1inch) hunk fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 1/2 to 3 tablespoons curry poder (preferably madras-style)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed thoroughly
1 (17.5-ounce) package 8- or 10- inch whole wheat tortillas
2 teaspoons Diet Enhance (or to taste)
Optional add-ons: Your favorite hot sauce (mine is Tears of the Sun); 1/2 red onion; 1/2 cucumber, diced
1. In a deep skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until slightly softened, about 8 minutes.
2. Add garlic, chili pepper, and ginger, and cook for about 2 minutes.
3. Add spices and salt, and stir well. You’ll end up with a paste.
4. Add chickpeas, plus enough water to barely cover them (at least 3 cups). Bring to a lively simmer, then lower the heat and cook at a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid evaporates (50 to 60 minutes). You’re looking for very soft chickpeas with a thick gravy, not soup.
5. Stir in Diet Enhance and taste for salt and season accordingly.
6. Place a few tablespoons of channa inside a warmed tortilla with any or all of the optional add-ons. (The channa is also great served over rice)
serves 8 or more